Perched 400 feet above the old city of Jodhpur, Mehrangarh Fort is unmissable; a seemingly indomitable fortress-palace that strikes awe in all who behold it from afar.
“Mehrangarh” means “Fort of the Sun”, and certainly, from way up high, one gets the impression of being closer to the sky and to the fiery orb of the sun; from which, incidentally, the ruling Rathore clan asserts descent.
First built in 1459 by Rao Jodha and successively enhanced in the course of 500 years, the Fort was a former residence of the Jodhpur royal family. Today it is managed as a Monument and a Museum.
And what a wonderful museum, with a wide-ranging collection of miniature paintings, royal palanquins, arms and armour, fashion and textiles and many other genres of decorative arts.
But the crowning glory of the visit to the Fort has to be the architecture of the Fort itself, and the few period rooms, immaculately restored, that provide a glimpse into the life of the Royals in this fragile, sequestered paradise.
From the ramparts and turrets too, one gets a fabulous panoramic view of Old Jodhpur, and understands immediately why it is so popularly referred to as the Blue City.