This past weekend, Singapore celebrated its 50th year of Independence on 9th August. It was a time of reflection as well as of dreaming…in the sense of imagining and aspiring towards more to achieve in the future.
I thought…since in the past year, there have been countless lists of 50 (for e.g. 50 things to do and see in Singapore), I would create my own list of 50 things that I still want to do in my life… all in the spirit of dreaming.
It’s quite easy to do this – and I totally encourage it. Just sit down, grab a pen and in say…20 minutes, write down 50 things that you haven’t done yet, and you would like to do. Anything that comes to mind, really.
Here are my random 50 THINGS – and I realise that the bulk of these 50 THINGS pertain to travel, languages, culture, cities, history and writing – so I know FOR SURE, that I’m the right author for this blog (phew!).
I suppose I shall endeavour to achieve most of these in the next 50 years of my life. =)
- Ride a camel
- Travel the Silk Road
- Read Rumi in Persian
- Learn the tango
- Find a quiet spot and just sit there for hours
- Ride a motorbike
- Walk the Nakasendo Trail in Japan
- See Vienna
- Go white water rafting
- Go to the River Safari in Singapore (Yup, still not been!!)
- Take a course in art history
- Make a movie
- Make a music video
- Visit my ancestral towns (the port cities of) Fuzhou and Quanzhou
- Complete my next album (of songs) and finish recording the previous one
- Relive how bards travelled in mediaeval times
- Learn Balinese dance
- Spend more time with family, especially my grandparents
- Lose ten kilos and get a six-pack
- Ride a dune buggy in Dubai
- Go diving
- Visit Syria
- Go to an Indian safari
- Take an art and architecture tour of Berlin
- Brush up my Japanese
- Re-start my Arabic
- Pick up Malay
- Grow a vegetable patch
- Walk around Singapore – really walk, and observe and photograph
- Visit old friends all over the world
- Paint a picture – my very first one!
- Research the history and architecture of Tang China
- Research Byzantine history and architecture
- Research Abbasid Baghdad history and architecture
- See Macchu Picchu
- Publish my book on the Treaty Ports of China, Korea and Japan
- Publish my book on Ports and Palaces of the Indian Subcontinent
- Write (and publish) a novel / novels
- Volunteer for an arts or heritage organisation
- Invent a board game related to travel and history
- Be a receptionist for a day at a hotel
- Be a waiter for a day at a restaurant
- Go to South by Southwest SXSW
- Go to Comic-Con
- Learn to Kickbox
- Design a shirt
- Return to Berkeley, California for a visit (I haven’t been in almost a decade!)
- Spend a month in the English countryside
- Have an absolutely mind-blowing meal.
- Have an absolutely mind-blowing bottle of wine!
Happy 50th birthday, Singapore!!
And here’s to LIFE and 50 more THINGS to do with it!